Events, Training & Cilca
Updated training programme to October 2020 coming soon.
Training and Professional Services are an important part of the Associations' support for member councils by offering help to councils wishing to increase their knowledge base and capability. Training is arranged by Yorkshire Local Councils Associations which is the only independent organisation offering specialist advice and information to the parish sector in North, South and West Yorkshire.
Evening and half day sessions include light refreshments and full day courses also include lunch.
List of Courses
The following training courses will be held in 2020. Please check the calendar above for dates which will also be promoted in the White Rose Update, then use the booking form above to make bookings:
Chairmanship - a day training session for new chairmen, vice-chairmen and councillors interested in chairmanship skills.
Off to a Flying Start - a day of training for brand new councillors with sessions on Roles and Responsibilities, Council meetings, Finance and Employment.
Spreading your wings - a day of training for councillors who have completed 'Off to a Flying Start' following the same format but to enable councillors to expand their knowledge and skills.
Clerks Induction Day - a day of training for new clerks, covering the basics of local council administration and finance.
Experienced Clerks Day - an interactive session for experienced clerks covering tricky situations and current issues for local councils.
Play Area Inspections - Training sessions run by Streetscape covering the practicalities of play area inspection.
Cemetery Management - A training day delivered by the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management (ICCM) covering all aspects of cemetery management from exclusive rights of burial to memorial safety.
The Planning Process - led by Andrew Towlerton a planning consultant. A day of training to help councillors to understand the planning system and to lead their councils to make better and well informed responses to planning applications.
In addition to the above, we shall also be arranging sessions on allotments, finance and charities. Look out for our e-mails giving dates and venues.
YLCA Training Cancellation and Refund Policy
All bookings must be accompanied with a booking form; confirmation will then be sent along with an invoice. Payment must reach YLCA seven days before the date of the event.
Please copy and use a separate booking form for each event.
Full details for delegates will be sent to the Clerk and delegate (if email address provided), seven days prior to the event.
1. Conference and event brochures and booking forms will normally and where possible, be sent to member councils at least twelve weeks before the closing date for major events and at least six weeks before the closing date for other events (major events include the YLCA Annual Conference and any larger one day conferences; other events include one day, half day or evening seminars).
2. Where full information on conference speakers and content cannot be given with the brochure and booking form, it will be made available when possible through White Rose Update, additional flyers in YLCA mailings and the YLCA website and YLCA e-mail communications to members.
3. Closing dates for events will depend upon the amount of notice required by the venue. Closing dates will be set as the minimum notice of final numbers required by the venue plus three clear working days.
4. To assist in compliance with the Equality Act 2010, booking information will include a request for information on any disabilities the conference or seminar delegates may have and for sufficient information to assess whether special measures need to be taken to facilitate those delegates attending the event.
5. Booking forms shall clearly indicate that full payment must be received by YLCA not later than the given closing date.
6. Cancellation notifications shall be made 10 days in advance of a conference or event in order to qualify for a full refund with exceptions to be granted at the discretion of the Chief Officer in cases of emergency and that in the first instance those cancelling be offered the chance to transfer their booking to another event.
7. Cancellations notified after the closing date for bookings will not normally be eligible for any refund. Where there is a reserve list of delegates wishing to attend and a substitute can be found, then a refund may be given, less an administrative charge. That administrative charge shall be £10 or 10% of the conference fee, whichever is the greater.
8. Once a closing date for bookings has passed, a reserve list will be maintained for anyone wishing to attend, but who is unable to complete the booking process in time. In the event of a delegate cancelling their conference or event place, that place will be offered to those councils/persons on the reserve list in the order in which their request for places was received, provided that YLCA has not incurred any unrecoverable costs related to the booking.
9. Attendance at YLCA events by persons for whom no booking has been made, or in respect of whom full payment has not been received, will not be permitted.
10 Where a delegate with a disability attending a YLCA event is unable to participate fully in that event due to their disability, then a refund of their fee shall be considered at the discretion of the Chief Officer.
Training in the Certificate in Local Council Administration (CiLCA)
Following completion of the basic online course called the Introduction to Local Council Administration provided by the Society of Local Council Clerks, clerks can move on to the CiLCA course.
The Yorkshire and Humber Regional Training Partnership (YHRTP) (of which YLCA is the lead partner) provides training for clerks working towards CiLCA. The CiLCA course is being re-planned currently but do note that as a rule, the RTP will only take students who have passed Working With Your Council or the replacement course, Introduction to Local Council Administration (ILCA).
The RTP took in a new tranche of candidates at 1 June 2020 and will be looking at a further intake in January 2021. Please contact Sheena Spence, RTP Lead Officer for further details - e-mail: email@example.com